Introducing . . . Pizzoccheri! This fabulous and NATURALLY GLUTEN FREE pasta will comfort you and your family on the coldest winter nights! It is a Northern Italian dish originating from Valtelline in Lombardy. The hearty, nutty pasta marries perfectly with potatoes, swiss chard, butter and cheese. Clario Farms’ pasta features all naturally gluten free ingredients, but please note that it is made in a facility that processes wheat and is not suitable for those with Celiacs.
Ingredients for two entrée servings
– 8 ounces Clario Farms’ fresh-frozen Pizzoccheri pasta
– 8 ounces diced potatoes
– 6 ounces chopped Swiss Chard (or savoy cabbage or spinach)
– 4 ounces grated Fontina cheese
– 1 ounce finely grated Parmigiano cheese
– 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
– 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
– 2 or 3 leaves of fresh sage (optional)
– Salt and black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (using ½ tablespoon of salt per quart of water).
- Add the potatoes and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Swiss Chard (or other green vegetable) to the boiling water and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Toss the frozen pasta into the boiling water and keep cooking for another 4-5 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter with the garlic and the sage in it; roast until the garlic is golden. If desired, you can then discard the garlic and sage.
- Drain the pasta and vegetables mix.
- Assembling the dish directly into each individual bowl. To ensure that the cheese will melt, start layering the ingredients alternating some of the pasta and vegetables with a sprinkle of Parmigiano, some Fontina and some melted butter. Repeat 2 or 3 times using up all of the ingredients, ending with a layer of pasta and vegetables and a sprinkle of Parmigiano and Fontina.
- Garnish with a Sage Leaf, add some black pepper and serve immediately without stirring.
For a list of other pasta flavors available THIS WEEK, please go to: http://clariofarms.com/?p=323